For this post, I read “Print Scholarship and Digital Resources,” by Clair Warwick. This writing discusses the dynamics between print and digital publications today, and the role that both can play in contemporary scholarship. The author keeps a fairly unbiased perspective about the benefits and shortcomings of both mediums. Most interesting to me is the physicality of printed books vs. their digital counterparts. Why do we still ascribe value to printed matter in an era when digital publishing should be the logical standard? Is there something unique about the experience of pouring over dusty volumes that simply cannot be reproduced via reading the same text on a kindle?
I find it easy to draw comparisons to the role of artwork in the digital age. We view more and more artwork online rather than in real life (IRL). This has some incredible benefits, namely that we have access to a much broader sampling of artists and we can easily follow up-to-the-moment trends and practices in contemporary art. A curator in New York can stay up-to-date with the programming of their favorite exhibition space in Los Angeles, read a blog post about a studio visit with a friend in Kansas City, and discover the website of an emerging artists in Japan, all without leaving the comforts of home! The world of art museums and galleries is notoriously limited in its ability to show new artists. There is only so much physical space available to exhibit work, and these institutions tend to favor time (and market)-tested, mid-career and established artists. What this leaves is a huge deficit in the representation of young and emerging artists. For many of these under-represented artists, the internet has become a democratizing space where they can create and maintain their own cultural presence outside of the preferences and market demands of the museum and gallery system.
The internet also presents its own set of challenges and limitations for the presentation of artwork. Primarily, it underscores the physicality of artwork. It would be safe to say that the majority of artwork that we consume is online (this is especially true for art world professionals who wish to stay current, but cannot physically be everywhere at once), and that the majority of artwork created today is made to be viewed by an online audience. Even an artist with a solo show at a major museum can only expect a small percentage of the total art world to visit the exhibition. Therefore, the internet, replacing catalogs and magazines, becomes the primary exhibition space. What gets lost in translation is the physical qualities of the artwork. How can an image on a screen ever truly reproduce the colors or scent of an object, the texture of its materials, or its physical scale in relation to the viewer? Photo documents are mere illustrations of physical things. They give us important clues about the nature of objects, but they can never truly reproduce the experience of physical interaction. In his seminal essay, "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction," Walter Benjamin describes the relation of an object to its reproduction in terms of originality. An original artwork has an "aura of originality" that diminishes over subsequent reproductions. Presumably, the aura of an artwork reproduced online would be even further diminished from its printed reproduction because it can be viewed and re-posted indefinitely.
Regarding my students, I still find it difficult to convey the differences between physical artworks and their representations. One of my favorite tools to spark this conversation in the classroom is the painting, "The Treachery of Images" by the 20th century Belgian painter Rene Magritte. The painting includes a highly-representational depiction of a tobacco pipe with the text beneath, "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." or in English, "This is not a pipe." I usually begin by showing an image of the painting and asking students to plainly describe what they see. Generally, they respond along the lines of, "I see a pipe and I see text." I then translate the text for them and ask, "How is this not a pipe?" After some discussion the consensus is that we are not looking at a pipe at all, but a collection of pigments, squished together with oil onto the surface of a canvas. Furthermore, we are not even examining the actual painting, but a photographic reproduction that has been converted into pixels and projected through light onto the surface of a projection screen. The ultimate takeaway? To truly understand a physical work of art, it must be experienced IRL.
As a side-note, I finally saw Magritte's painting IRL last year at the MoMA during their major retrospective of the artist. As an object, I found it to be fairly lack-luster. The paint surface was incredibly flat with a matte finish that looked surprisingly like that of a printed reproduction. Maybe Magritte intentionally negated the aura of his painting, anticipating the massively-reproducible potential of the image. The most physical aspect of experiencing the painting, for me, was navigating through the huge crowd of people milling in front of it.

I'm devastated. I just crafted a lengthy but (in my opinion) thoughtful response. Your post really got me thinking. And when I hit "publish," it disappeared. *sigh* I will try to recreate my thoughts. And there were many. But for now, thank you for this post. -_-
ReplyDeleteThis is such an interesting post. So much to say and so many thoughts spinning around my head. Allow me to begin with a response to your first question.
ReplyDeleteFor me, there is a significant difference between a printed book and a digital text. I have both traditional books and a Kindle, but there are only certain types of books I will download to my Kindle because I find that digital texts leave me wanting. There is something particularly enticing to me about touching the pages, smelling the paper, being able to fold the corner of a page, scribbling notes in the margins...things I cannot do with my Kindle. They make it so much easier for me to flip through the pages to find what I'm looking for, something that isn't so easy on my Kindle. This ultimately changes the reading experience for me and this is why I ascribe value to printed matter.
As for works of art, I think the same thing applies. And yet, digital reproductions provide access to works that many--if not most of us would simply not have otherwise.
I am particularly intrigued by your discussion of Magritte's "The Treachery of Images." I always knew what the words meant. I studied French since I was ten years old and this was one of the standard images that decorated the walls of my classrooms. It never occurred to me that the text was designed to make the viewer pause and think about the fact that it is not, in fact, a pipe. It is a painting. It is a painting of a pipe. Perhaps it's a painting of an artist's interpretation of a pipe. Ultimately, it is little more than brush strokes and pigment on canvas. The interpretation rests with the viewer. This reminds me, too, of Picasso's "Guernica," one of the few paintings that truly reaches out and grabs me (admittedly, I have never seen it IRL). I know the historical context in which it was painted. I interpret it in a particular way, but my interpretation might be entirely different from yours.
I am reminded of the many times during my life I saw images of DaVinci's "Mona Lisa." It always seemed larger than life and I expected it to be a larger than life painting that would occupy an entire wall. And it does. Except it’s only 21x30 inches. When I visited the Louvre, it was so anticlimactic. It's such a small painting. And its isolation on the wall on which it is displayed renders it even smaller and less powerful (at least in my opinion). The painting that did reach out and grab me was Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa," which is just past the Mona Lisa. It occupies most of a wall and is 16'1"x23'6" (larger than my living room wall). This painting had a profound impact on me. I stared at it for I don't even know how long (and I snapped a couple illegal photos of it...without flash, of course). The longer I looked, the more detail I saw.
I just looked at the "Raft of the Medusa" online and while its digital image is still powerful, it doesn't have the same impact on me as in real life. This is similar to my experience with the Venus de Milo, which seemed so much more elegant in person, the marble displaying detail I didn't even know was possible, and with the Winged Goddess Nike (Winged Victory of Samothrace"). Both had a profound impact on me, much as Gericault's painting did, and in a very different way than did the "Mona Lisa."
I recognize that many people will never have the opportunity to visit the Louvre, so I see the value in digital reproductions. However, the power I ascribe to the actual works, the ability to see the brush strokes, touch the marble, smell the oil on canvas is akin to touching the pages of a book, smelling the paper, folding the corners, and scribbling notes in the margins. So I'll continue to read my books and visit art museums. I will continue to fold down corners of pages and scribble notes in margins. I find something very special in the tangible. And in the digital, but mostly in the tangible.
Thanks again for your comments, Lisa. I guess that we are both "old school" with our value on physical things over their virtual counterparts. Great anecdote about visiting the Louvre. I've heard similar recollections again and again about the anticlimactic moment of approaching the Mona Lisa from behind a swelling crowd, only to be underwhelmed by is diminutive scale. There is an interesting distortion that happens when we finally see a thing that has been so highly reproduced or trumped-up by the media. We tend to confuse the cultural significance of a thing with its actual scale, making it larger than life in our minds eye. This may also explain why we often assume that movie stars are taller than their actual height (although, I assume that this is also due to a trick of the camera). I'm glad that you found the Gericault painting to ease your post-Mona Lisa disappointment. For me, the anecdote was Leonardo's masterwork "Virgin of the Rocks" on the adjacent wall.
Delete