Friday, January 10, 2014

Brainstorming

I am not sure how, if at all, I would be able to apply digital humanities concepts to teaching traditional studio art classes. I will probably explore a research project on my own...is this the "My own ideas" option? I find word frequency analysis interesting, although I would like to avoid exploring something that feels too directly like an art history research project. I will need to look more into these digital resources and think about the possibilities...

3 comments:

  1. When you are discussing students' art work during class it might be fun to conduct a live "word cloud" where students anonymously text message words that describe their evaluation of a piece and the word cloud forms. It might stimulate discussion. This can be done for free at this site http://www.polleverywhere.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn's idea is very cool. A real-time word cloud generator and discussion simulator might engage students in a way that traditional discussion does not. And you could keep it focused on the actual art being created in the class, which would keep it relevant. Because students would text their evaluations anonymously, they might be more willing to be open and honest and/or to voice their opinion when they otherwise might not because of reticence or discomfort speaking in public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea, Glenn and Lisa. This could be a helpful tool for building students' critical vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete